Friends, sometimes life is hard. Sometimes you just think to yourself, “why me?” For a lot of us, it might go something like this:
- Everything SUCKS and I am so tired of this
- I just want to crawl into a hole and never come out
- I want this to be OVER and there has to be some way to fix it
- I should try to stay positive
- I don’t even know why I’m complaining, other people have it worse than I do
No matter where you are in this cycle - I have a few things to share with you.
First, it’s okay to be fed up and wish this were over.
Second, I want to say, truly, someone always has it worse than you do. We are privileged to have technology access this post. We have a place to sleep that isn’t a cardboard box. We do not live in a slum. We have access to food when we need it, even if it’s at a food bank.
And our feelings are still real and valid. Please do not compare yourself to other people - it invalidates your experience and takes away your very real pain. It’s okay to feel like everything sucks even when, technically, some things do not suck.
And third, it's okay to have a pity party, as long as it doesn't last forever. Here are a few tips for a good pity party:
- Choose a time limit, whether it's 5 minutes or 5 hours
- Use that time to feel crappy without judgement. Do whatever feels good during that time.
- Find an accountability partner who will call you and tell you you're done with your pity party.
- When the pity party is over, decide to take action and don't let your bad feelings make you bitter.
The pity party serves as a container for you (or your kids, because this works for them too!) to feel really terrible, honor your feelings, and ALSO get it out of it.